Saturday, March 15, 2014

Medicinal Therapy Update

A couple of weeks ago, we met with Jordan's teacher for conferences to discuss his progress. It was the end of the first week he's been on medication. She said it's made a huge difference, almost a complete 360 turn around. (then proceeded to boast how she was right and I was wrong, but that's a different rant). We've also briefly talked to her last week without any behavioral or educational complaints from Jordan. We are ecstatic.

Since the last post, we've also been able to assess his bus trips. He's had 2 write ups for non-ADHD related issues, which is still marked improvement. We've also added a handheld pinball game for the bus ride to help him focus on something other than "the boring bus ride".

The "coming off the meds" issue has been stifled thanks to another 2.5mg dose around 1230. I was very hesitant to give him another dose for a lot of reasons, mostly because twice daily dosing is not recommended for under 6. However, the doctor expressed that 2.5mg is a 'sub therapeutic dose' and adding another sub therapeutic dose later in the day shouldn't hurt him.

Since then there has been minimal complaints. He is harder to get him down for bedtime,  and falls asleep an hour to an hour and a half later than before meds. My sister made the suggestion that his body is used to going a mile a minute and now its not for most of the day; so it might give him trouble sleeping for that reason too. We've been trying to keep him as active as possible after school to help him go to sleep easier. (Come on Spring, we need you!!) He doesn't wake up as easy either in the morning.

We are still up in the air about giving him medication on the weekends. It does make it easier for us, however, I feel like its his time to "catch up" on sleeping. I also like the idea of giving him a break from the medication too.

All in all, the difference with the second dose has been more positive than negative. He's not been perfect (because he is a kid) but he's been more "normal". What little side effect he has from the medication has been manageable. While my hesitation for medicinal therapy are valid, I'm glad we've done it at the timing we have. I feel like we are finally getting somewhere with Jordan. It makes me excited for his future because he really is a good kid. And I wouldn't have changed a thing about the decisions we've made for him. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment