HAPPY NURSE'S WEEK!
I always wanted to be in health care. I knew it from a small child reading fictional stories about those facing illness and subsquently checking out medical texts in order to gain knowledge. Ten years ago, in high school, I said I would never be a nurse. I don't want to wipe butts all day and deal with the gross. However, as I got older and I gained defining moments in my life, my outlook changed. I aspired to be a nurse from my own labor and delivery experience. I truly saw what nurses do, patient advocacy. And when it was my turn to be advocated for, it impacted far beyond my imagination.
After my divorce, I was going to accomplish my goal to be a registered nurse. I enrolled at the local 4 year university, working full time, going to school full time, and being a parent. I worked hard to get into the nursing program and getting the acceptance letter in the mail was confirmation of all the hard work. While enrolled nursing school, I busted butt to get good grades and getting a summer externship opportunity at the downtown hospital where I was able to experience the labor and delivery unit first hand. I finished out the rest of my schooling, working as a patient care tech (aka nurse aide) on the L&D floor, in hopes to continue my employment there after graduation.
Fast forward to the current. I graduated nursing school with my bachelor's degree in April, magna cum laude. I have applied and interviewed for 4 jobs, three of which I was not selected. The last job I was waiting to hear from was the internship program at the downtown hospital. I desperately wanted the labor and delivery internship; a 20 week mentored program with a 2 year contract afterwards. I nailed the interview; by far the the best I've ever had. Boss lady said 3 weeks, but I was getting anxious. What if I was being over confident? Can you laugh too much in an interview? Maybe I should start applying for something else...
Until today. I was offered and accepted the labor & delivery internship at the downtown hospital. Everything I have worked for has paid off; big time. I about fell off my bed when the call came. The HR lady probably thought I was nutso. I am now sitting here, laughing and crying and shaking like a hormonal crazy woman because I still can't believe it.
My sending message from this, YOU can do whatever you set your mind to. It may not be your biggest dream, but YOU can make your life what you want. Go for your goals. It may be hard work; it may be a big change, but every experience will help you grow as a person. And looking back on where the past 4 years have brought me, I can honestly say I love my life, I love where I am going, and can't wait for more.
Welcome to the blogging world...I've been doing this since 2007 and love every minute of blogging. It's kind of like a journal of sorts that I can go back and re-read some of the stories
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful summation of your life over the past few years! Yes, I'm sure the HR lady thought you were nutso. She's right. You are. But, you're the best kind of nutso there is! Many congratulations on graduating and landing such a sweet job. Next up: wedding!
ReplyDeleteI remember when you were in junior high and you told people you wanted to work in pediatric oncology. I don't think most people took you seriously but I did. I figured out very quickly that if you wanted to accomplish something you did it especially if someone told you that you couldn't. I've always admired that about you.
ReplyDelete