Friday, January 10, 2014
Becoming at family part 4: It's final!!!
We've been waiting for this day since February of last year. I can't believe this has been a year in the making, but it's finally over.
I've read back on my previous blog posts and remember exactly how we felt at the beginning of the adoption: scared, nervous, excited. So many what ifs. What would people say? Would he actually give up his rights? How long will this take? What will Jordan think?
Now a year later, those questions have clearly been answered.
The final hearing was short, sweet and to the point. The lawyer really didn't know what was going to happen because this was different than how the last judge did things. We go into the court room. The judge basically says, "Hey, has anything changed between now and September?". Nope. "Ok, well does he know what these whole proceedings mean?" Lawyer chimes in: "He's excited to change his name." Judge asks Jordan what he wants his name to be. J says it oh so cutely. Warms the judge's heart visibly. Judge says have a great life, it's final, peace. (ok, not like that but close). Signed. Sealed. Done.
Jordan is so excited to have his name changed. He told everyone yesterday at school he was being adopted today. I woke up this morning to "Bye Mom! See ya at the adoption! I'm going to change my name!" I'm so glad we made the decision to include him on the name choice. Jordan loves his new name, well... until we yell it when he's in trouble (already done, less than 8 hours of finality.)
We went immediately to change whatever we could of his name. Social Security. Check. School. Check. We will get a Hawaii birth certificate hopefully within two months. (It's weird that Ryan will have his name on a birth certificate in a state he's never stepped foot on--- immaculate conception!? HAHA) Insurances will be dealt with on Monday. The sooner we change everything, the better.
I've wanted this the minute I met Ryan. We're a family in every sense of the word minus a few pesky DNA (which really isn't that great anyway.)
Thank you to everyone who has supported us through this journey. We couldn't have done it without y'all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment